Not sure where to start with essential oils? The Top 10 is a great place to begin!
The Top 10 starter kit has been perfectly curated to include 10 versatile oils that between them all have over 150 uses! Have a read below to learn more.
The Oil of Truth
- Rub Frankincense on your hands after a long day of gardening for a soothing effect.
- Apply topically to help reduce the appearance of skin imperfections.
- Massage on the bottoms of feet to promote feelings of relaxation and to balance mood.
The Oil of a Buoyant Heart
The peppermint plant is a hybrid of watermint and spearmint and was first described by Carl Linneaus in 1753. A high menthol content—like that found in the doTERRA Peppermint essential oil—distinguishes the best quality Peppermint from other products. Peppermint is frequently used in toothpaste and chewing gum for oral hygiene. Peppermint continues to be one of the best-selling favourites among doTERRA essential oils.
- Use a drop of Peppermint with Lemon in water for a refreshing mouth rinse.
- Add a drop to your favourite smoothie recipe for a refreshing twist.
- Place one drop in the palm of your hand with one drop Wild Orange and one drop Frankincense and inhale for a midday pick-me-up.
The Oil of Communication
- Add a few drops of Lavender to pillows, bedding, or bottoms of feet at bedtime.
- Keep a bottle of Lavender on hand to soothe skin.
- Freshen your linen closet, mattress, car, or the air by combining Lavender with water in a spray bottle.
- Use in cooking to soften citrus flavours and add a flavorful twist to marinades, baked goods, and desserts.
The Oil of Focus
- Add a few drops to water for a citrus burst of flavour.
- Add Lemon oil to a spray bottle of water to clean tables, countertops, and other surfaces. Lemon oil also makes a great furniture polish; simply add a few drops to olive oil to clean, protect, and shine wood finishes.
- Use a cloth soaked in Lemon oil to preserve and protect your leather furniture and other leather surfaces or garments.
- Lemon oil is a great remedy for the early stages of tarnish on silver and other metals.
- Diffuse to create an uplifting environment.
The Oil of Energetic Boundaries
Tea Tree essential oil has over 92 different compounds and limitless applications. The leaves of the Tea Tree tree were used by the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples for centuries. They would apply crushed leaves directly to the skin for a cooling effect. Tea Tree is best known for its cleansing properties. It can be used to cleanse and clarify the skin and nails and to support a healthy looking complexion. Diffusing Tea Tree will help freshen the scent of the air.
- For topical skin applications, apply 1–2 drops of Tea Tree essential oil onto area.
- Combine 1–2 drops with your facial cleanser for added cleansing properties, or apply to skin after shaving.
- Apply to fingernails and toenails after showering to cleanse and keeps nails looking healthy.
- Add a few drops to a spray bottle with water and use on surfaces as a cleansing and purifying agent.
The Oil of Protection
As one of dōTERRA’s best selling brands, On Guard can be used on surfaces throughout the home as a non-toxic cleaner. When diffused, dōTERRA On Guard provides a pure and uplifting aroma.
- Soak sliced apples in water and a few drops for a healthy snack.
The Oil of Breath
doTERRA Easy Air is a remarkable blend of essential oils including Laurel Leaf, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Lemon, Cardamom, Ravintsara, and Ravensara. doTERRA Easy Air can be applied topically to the chest, back, or bottom of feet, or diffused at night time to calm the senses before a restful night’s sleep.
- Diffuse, inhale directly from your palms, or rub on chest or feet when environmental threats are high.
- Use when outdoors at times of seasonal threats.
- Diffuse at bedtime for a restful environment.
The Oil of Digestion
DigestZen® contains ingredients that can be taken internally. This selected blend contains Ginger, Fennel, and Coriander, which have been used in foods as flavours, additives and spices throughout the world for centuries. DigestZen® is great to have on hand and is safe. Internal use of DigestZen® is naturally gentle on the digestive system.
- Add a few drops to water to take internally.
- Rub on the stomach before flying or taking a road trip for a calming aroma.
The Oil of Humility & Nonattachment
Oregano is one of the most potent and powerful essential oils and has been used for centuries in traditional practices. The primary chemical components of Oregano is carvacol. Due to its high phenol content, caution should be taken when inhaling or diffusing Oregano; only one to two drops is needed. Additionally, Oregano should be diluted with a carrier oil when applied to the skin. Oregano is a popular cooking spice. Oregano’s aroma acts as an enhancer and equaliser in essential oil blends.
- Put one drop in place of dried oregano in spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, or on a roast.
- Put 10 drops in a 500 mL spray bottle with water to add a refreshing and cleansing aroma to surface sprays.
The Oil of Inner Beauty
- Apply on feet and knees before and after exercise.
- Massage Ice Blue with a few drops of carrier oil onto growing kids’ legs before bedtime.
- Rub Ice Blue on your lower back after a day of heavy lifting at work or during a move.
The Oil of Abundance
Wild Orange gets an honourable mention. It’s not technically part of the top 10 but when you get started with a starter kit in my team you receive a Wild Orange as a personal gift from me. Everyone needs to have it as part of their collection. High in monoterpenes, Wild Orange possesses a stimulating and uplifting aroma, making it ideal for diffusion. It can be taken daily in drinking water for a citrus burst of flavour or used on surfaces as a natural cleaner. Diffusing Wild Orange will energise and uplift the emotional body. Wild Orange enhances any essential oil blend with a fresh, sweet, refreshing aroma.
- Use in an all-purpose spray to cleanse and provide a fresh aroma in the air.
- Add a drop to your water every day for a burst of flavour.
- Diffuse to promote an uplifting feeling.
- To feel an energising boost, dispense one to two drops in the palm of your hand along with equal parts Peppermint and Frankincense. Rub palms together and inhale deeply from palms, then rub on the back of neck
We are not licensed physicians. We cannot diagnose or prescribe nor make disease claims. If you have any ailment, seek advice from a trained professional. Information on this website is for informational purposes only. You remain responsible for what you do with this information, determining for yourself if you might benefit from anything here, in pursuit of your health and wellness goals. Any application of the information on this site constitutes the explicit waiver of any liability on our part.